23 – 27 SEPTEMBER 2020
We will be completely immersed, but also dispersed, in one of the most fascinating glaciers of our hemisphere, located between the Monte Rosa massif and the hypnotic Cervino (The Matterhorn). We will reach the Gorner glacier through the famous Gornergrat train and from there, on foot, we will move between ice and rock looking for photographic subjects above ground and in depth, accessible on foot with the use of crampons, helmet, light and warm clothes. We will spend the nights in our base camp, and between photography and adventure stories, we will experience the slow but intense rhythms of a real expedition.
Amateur or professional photographers can immerse themselves in fascinating scenarios: majestic mountains and caves in contact between the cold rock and the fascinating and hypnotic shades of ice, with harmonious shapes and improbable colours. We will take pictures of the landscape, in caves, and there will also be subjects for macro-photography and a “cold” night session.
All expedition logistics will be handled by Miles Beyond’s expert staff:
- Logistics manager
- Assistant logistics manager
The stay on the glacier will be guaranteed by the installation of a professional Base Camp:
- No. 1 Ferrino Colle Sud tent for 8 people
- No. 1 Ferrino Colle Sud storage tent
- No. 5-6 personal tents
Furthermore, constant electricity will be guaranteed through the use of 1 or 2 1Kw current generators. PMR Radio, a satellite phone for emergencies and a complete first aid medical kit will be available for expedition activities.
The logistics staff will provide lunches and dinners during the period of stay in the base camp.
However, during the expedition all people present will be considered as an integral part of the team.
Alessio Romeo has developed and increased his passion for photography during a long journey of more than a year through Asia between 2007 and 2008. In behalf of Miles Beyond, he has been a photographer in expeditions for the European Space Agency and for Moncler. His photos have been published in the best magazines around the world. His specialty is the caves, which he has been exploring, documenting and photographing for over 25 years. Whatever the type of your photography is, landscape, reportage or art, the purpose of this expedition is to bring home as many images as possible together with our photographer Alessio, who is also explorer of the “La Venta” Association, geologist, speleologist, but especially trip and cave photographer. His long experience in these places is solid, both from a photographic and scientific point of view, also testified by his thesis and other studies on the Gorner ice.
“During the journey you learn how to read the light instantly and then how to seize the right moment to shoot, the darkness, instead, offers you the privilege to manage light in order to tell and understand those wonderful unknown worlds and their peculiarities”.
- breakfasts, lunches, dinners, food during the stay in the base camp
- basic field equipment (tents, camp kitchen, generators, radios, etc.), excluding equipment and personal clothing
- one night in Tash in a hotel
- helicopter equipment rotation from Zermatt to the base camp
- helicopter persons and equipment rotation from the base camp to Zermatt
- logistics staff
The expedition fee NOT include:
- ticket price of the Gornergrat train the first day
- lunch of day 1 and dinner of day 4
- medical insurance and cancellation
For booking please contact our commercial partner:
Difficulty rateExperience's difficulty is rated: 4 on 5, Hard
Day 1: meeting in Tasch in the morning to catch the Gornergrat train for Gorner. From the upper station we will reach the glacier and the place to install the base camp on foot. Waiting for us it will be the helicopter with all the logistical equipment. Base camp set up and scouting of the location. Explanatory evening of the expedition, the project, suggestions for the equipment organisation and for personal photo equipment. Excursion plan, in general.
Days 2 - 3: during the days of the stay in the established area we will dedicate ourselves to:
− landscape photography
− photography in the darkness of the caves
− photography with sunset and sunrise lights
− night photography
− documentary photography: at the Camp Base, in action and backstage
− proposals by the participants
− in the meantime, we will learn the equipment management: photographic equipment, batteries and their recharging, clothing, equipment for overnight stays and more
Return by helicopter in the afternoon of day 4, after the disassembly of the camp. The afternoon will be entirely dedicated to viewing photos of participants, indications and suggestions for post-production and expedition debriefing. Dinner will be offered and the overnight will be in the same structure previously used
Departure of the participants with their own means of transport.
- streamline equipment and technique for effective travel and adventure photography
- move with photographic material aimed at the situation and easy to manage
- take pictures inside the caves, using artificial light
- sunrises and sunsets at high altitude on cold evenings and autumn mornings
- ice details (evening and morning): macro-photography
- alpine landscapes, mountains and glaciers
- rivers, canyons and glacier cavities: the peculiarity of the Gorner
- fauna and flora of the area
- secondary goal to be decided: to reach Rosa Hutte refuge for panoramic photos
- take pictures in all conditions, developing an effective management of the equipment in extreme weather conditions and inaccessible places, dedicated to all those who wish to make travel, adventure and reportage photography.